Grids in beta3 and future

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Hi Tom,

I finally had time this weekend to digg into the new beta3 of silvermoon. I must say I am very impressed. This offers now much more flexibility on all controls without overcomplicating everything. Very good work and planning!

When checking the Democode I noticed you very seldomly used the Grid control. Will this be deprecated? If yes, what will cover its functionality then?

Cheers,

schaze

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM

thanx very much. it's nice to hear that.

the democode is actually the code i used to test the controls when they where in development, so it doesn't  say anything. in fact, the grid is the only control which has not changed that much from beta 2 to beta 3. I see no reason to replace it with another control.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:52 AM
Glad to hear that. I also rather like the Grids and would really miss them if they were gone. :) One small thing I noticed while developing with Silvermoon (beta2 experience) is that the design of the controls is sometimes a bot one-dimensional (in geometric terms talking, not visual appeal). E.g. the color gradients (chrome/plastic) run only from top to bottom, the progress bar is only designed for horizontal use, listviews only scroll vertical. When making a vertical progress bar it looked rather strange as the BackgroundVisual Gradient should be from left to right instead from top to bottom. I know I could apply a rotation transform, but this rather complicates things as one always has to swap height/width then or for whole controls the mouse click point is not mapped to the actual point in the control due to the rotation. Is there any plan to extend these things? (e.g. I like the panorama view in the beta3 which actually now has a 2 way usage). brgs, schaze