Thank You!

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Hi Thomas,

I just stumbled over this from a thread in XDA developers.

I am at the moment creating a project using your Fluid Controls (which are amazing btw!) you made beginning of the year.

And now you come up with this! Thank you very much for providing such a great UI control framework!
You are a genius! It is nearly perfect even though its only a beta.

Does this now mean you will stop work on Fluid and concentrate on SilverMoon only? (I am asking because i would still need fluid for devices with non-opengl HW support and there are some bugs left.)

Best regards,
schaze

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Thanx a lot.

I'm very surprised that Fluid is used that much. I didn't expect it to be so popular. Although very similar, Fluid and Silvermoon are two different products. Silvermoon does not replace Fluid. For the moment, I will continue on Silvermoon and because of the requests I will improve Fluid. Maybe I'll make them compatible as far as possible which means that I change the structure of Fluid to that of Silvermoon. Of course Fluid can't have all that transitions and animations, but it can be a gdi replacement. I think the way how I designed Silvermoon is more efficent than the structure of Fluid, apart from OpenGL.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Hi,

well Fluid is a free and easy to use finger-friendly UI framework. I could not find anything near its quality that is availably under public license with free usage. So I am actually surprised that there are not yet 100s of apps with the Fluid framework.

It would for sure be an advantage to have Fluid and Silvermoon have the same structure, but Fluid is also fine as it is at the moment (from a structure point of view). The Treeview however would be a great improvement for Fluid.

If you need an 'beta' tester for Silvermoon and Fluid please let me know. I would be more than willing to help and test. As I will use your UIs in project this would actually also be for my benefit. ;)
My project at the moment is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/klappstuhl/ (still in planning/pre-alpha phase - the windows mobile source is currently a bit outdated in the SVN)

I have tested the Silvermoon Demo on my Touch HD (Blackstone), but I have somehow the feeling as if the GUI is somehow scaled up to my full resolution as it all looks a bit blurry. Touch HD has also 480x800 as the X1. Could you perhaps post some full resolution screenshots of Silvermoon so I could compare?

Gruesse,
schaze

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2009 at 10:57 AM

You're welcome to test it I like to hear responses and opinions.

I think you talk about the lense of the LensView. It's indeed blurry in the beta, but this was intended. I was the opinion that a lense looks more natural if it appears blurry and this would also solve the problem with the drop shadow that gets rasterized. That's because on mobile phone there are only 5bit per color and withouth dithering this is recognizable. but when I use a small image and stetch it, OpenGL can dither it by itself. So the shadow looks like indented, but the lense itself gets blurry. But I changed this again and so it will be sharp with the next beta.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Allright, I will make a fork of my project using Silvermoon and let you know.
But I am going to have to wait until the next beta as I need Unicode support.

I meant the LensView and the LoadingCursor, also the Text itself looks not as sharp as it does with GDI. It's more bold and 'softer'. As my resolution is 800x480 and as you explained in another thread the max sprite size for a font is 1024x1024, could it be that the rendered letter images are also scaled up to safe memory?

Looking forward to the next beta and thanks a again for that amazing UI!

/schaze