This project is read-only.

having to hard reset

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Hi,

I've been working on an rss reader app using silvermoon. My only problem so-far is that sometimes my app (and the demo) refuse to load up on my device(tg01) and will only load again after a soft reset.

a quick debug shows that the following method is returning a 0 when gl.GenTexture() gets called from the Texture classes constructor.

[DllImportAttribute(LibGlesDllName, EntryPoint = "glGenTextures")]
private static extern void glGenTextures(int n, out uint textures);

has anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Hy,

I have no solution for your problem but if your rss reader is free, I'd like to test it :D

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Hi Tagazok,

My plan was to open source it eventually so i'd really appreciate some external input, thanks.

do you use google reader?, I'm using it as the back end for the app currently. if you're still interested drop me a private message.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:49 AM
bingly wrote:

Hi,

I've been working on an rss reader app using silvermoon. My only problem so-far is that sometimes my app (and the demo) refuse to load up on my device(tg01) and will only load again after a soft reset.

a quick debug shows that the following method is returning a 0 when gl.GenTexture() gets called from the Texture classes constructor.

[DllImportAttribute(LibGlesDllName, EntryPoint = "glGenTextures")]
private static extern void glGenTextures(int n, out uint textures);

has anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

Same here, happens randomly. Only way out is soft reset.
Not sure what causes it, but any Silvermoon app (including the Demo) will quit/crash after glGenTextures returning 0.

Hope Tom can take a look on this for next version!

Regards

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:34 AM

MORE INFO:

Can reproduce it ALWAYS after repeating this for 6 times:

Open Demo.exe
Exit

The 7th time it won't open (crashes).

Demo.exe is the included sample, without changes.

Hope this helps.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:38 PM
bingly wrote:

Hi Tagazok,

My plan was to open source it eventually so i'd really appreciate some external input, thanks.

do you use google reader?, I'm using it as the back end for the app currently. if you're still interested drop me a private message.

Hi, bingly, I'm using Google Reader heavily and interesting in app for WM - while some apps already available like SmartRssTouch (http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=10976) or SpeedReader (http://emuneee.wordpress.com/eeenno/speeed-reader/) - it doesn't suitable enough for my needs - So I can participate, but I'm curious how you want to implement rss reader since we can't integrate standard WebBrowser component in Silvermoon's app.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Hi vansickle,

i've played with both those apps, smartrss shows promise but the ui could still be better.

for the webbrowser problem, i'm trying to focus on getting images & text to display. it's not going to work very well for all feeds but i think i can hack somethig together that will be good enough for the moment.

As i mentioned to tagazok, i'm mostly interested in open sourcing this app. once i've refactored the source code a little bit i'll make it available on codeplex if you're interested in having a look at it.

thanks.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM

To bingly:

Yes, I'm interesting - send me a link when you make it available on codeplex, Thanks.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I have also encountered the same problem several times. I use Silvermoon on the HTC Diamond.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM
buckley10 wrote:

MORE INFO:

Can reproduce it ALWAYS after repeating this for 6 times:

Open Demo.exe
Exit

The 7th time it won't open (crashes).

Demo.exe is the included sample, without changes.

Hope this helps.

sergiyshchur, can you also reproduce this?

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM

To buckley10:

I can't reproduce the issue going through the steps you suggested. But I still run into the issue once in a while. I will post repro steps here as soon as I find the pattern.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:06 AM
Edited Jan 3, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Same happening to me (HTC HD2).

7th time crashes.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

I have tried and created another simple app using only the the OPENGL project (not the Silvermoon) and the same happens there too.

7th time crashes.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

** EDIT **

Have tried other 2 different implementations for managed OpenGL ES.

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/10/managed-opengl-es-and-vincent-3d.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=511363

Same problems there....

** EDIT 2 **

Just tried with a very simple app that only clears the surface with a solid color.

Same thing happens (7th time crash).

Could this happen due to the driver implementation on my HTC HD2 ?

Does this happen on other devices?

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hi all,

maybe my experience can be of some help. I also experienced the same problem on my Toshiba TG01 (the infamous "Error on glGenTexture" crash) but then found out that it only happens if library libGLES_CM.dll is linked and loaded from the Windows directory. If, on the other hand, you deploy the very libGLES_CM.dll that ships with the Silvermoon Visual Studio Solution into your application directory, then the crash doesn't happen, at least as far as I could test (I tried to launch my application about 30 times with no crashes, then stopped trying).

To be honest, my application is less than trivial, in that it only clears the screen background and shows a label, but that was actually enough to trigger the "Error on glGenTexture" crash. Maybe it's just that the libGLES_CM.dll that comes with the Silvermoon Visual Studio Solution is a different version than the one that I have installed in the Windows directory, I haven't checked this, all I can say is that this workaround works for me.

Hope this can help

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Hello

I'm having the same problem on a HTC HD2.

My app runs fine the first 6 times, but on the 7th start, it crashes without giving me an error (can I enable error messages somewhere?). I have copied "libGLES_CM.dll" to my application directory, but the problem remains.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rob

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Hi,

silvermoon 'links' to libGLES_cm.dll which is an OpenGLES 1.x implementation. The version that comes with silvermoon is a software implementation and should only be used in the emulator and not on the device. Devices with OpenGLES 2.0 support (like TG01 or HD2) don't have this dll (it's named libGLESv1.dll). Instead of using the software implementation the silvermoon library has to be recompiled to use the right dlls. (yes, with this dll the cpu is doing all rendering and not the gpu!)

Someone with VS2008 could give it a try!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=644710

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Hi, I've had the same problem with my own Tigre engine and now I've found a simple but not perfect solution. Just do not terminate the display and do not delete the context or the surface. Thats it, no idea why it is like that or what problems this will cause, but for now, its a solution!